Use of “Motivational Interviewing” in practice
Can be presented in 2 or 3 hour sessions
The concept of “motivational interviewing” is now recognized in oral healthcare as becoming the best practice in “guiding” our patients in making positive changes in their health and lifestyle behaviors.
By eliminating those prior tactics of judging or controlling our patients, we are now embracing a more effective “patient-centered approach to coaching. Our patients will only make positive changes if they can appreciate the value as well as making those choices on their own time.
Lil will walk the audience through the key principles that underscore the process of using motivational interviewing techniques in our workplace. The video clips and interactive discussion brings about a productive environment for learning this concept while having fun during the seminar.
- Applying the 4 guiding principles of Motivational Interviewing technique
- Discuss the stages of MI practice using the concepts of D.A.R.N.
- Reinforce the key communication skills required for successful motivational interviewing
- Define ambivalence and discuss how to guide patients through this obstacle in changing their behaviors
- Participation in effective questioning skills that propagates meaningful patient interaction
- Observe the video demonstrations of dental hygiene and patient interactions and provide suggestions/input in improving the tactics in motivational interviewing
A graduate of Montgomery County Community College with an A.S. degree in applied science and certificate in dental hygiene, she has practiced in the Philadelphia area as a periodontal co-therapist for 24 years.
In 1989, Lil achieved her bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene education from Thomas Jefferson University and later completed her master’s degree in instructional design and training from Penn State University.
Lil served as the President of Pennsylvania Dental Hygienists’ Association in 1999-2000, and the recipient of the ADHA Irene Newman Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Advancement of Dental Hygiene as well as National Award for Student Advisor at Harcum College, Bryn Mawr, PA.
In 2009, Lil was selected as the first alumnus of her college to be named to their Alumni Hall of Fame at Montgomery County College. In 2014, the college selected Lil as one of their Fabulous 50 Alumni celebrated during their 50th anniversary.
Last month, Lil received confirmation as a contributing author for the chapter on Dentinal Hypersensitivity in a new dental hygiene textbook entitled: “Dental Hygiene: Applications to Clinical Practice” published by F.A. Davis, Philadelphia.