Dental hygienists are the primary preventive oral health care provider. With the education and licensure required to provide preventive and therapeutic care to the public, dental hygienists are poised to meet the needs of the public. Currently, many sources shed light on the demand and severe need for dental services that may be provided by the dental hygienist. In addition, the ever- evolving healthcare landscape, the expansion of healthcare coverage, increased research with the oral systemic link and the epidemic of inflammatory and chronic diseases are reinforcing that optimal oral health is a key component for optimal overall health. As states across the country are moving to expand the dental hygiene scope of practice, increase practice settings and introduce midlevel dental hygiene providers, the profession of dental hygiene is exploding with opportunities!
- Review the dental hygiene process of care and the ADHA Standards of Clinical Practice and discuss implementation into your practice for optimal delivery of dental hygiene services
- Discuss state dental hygiene practice acts around the country
- Provide Global perspective regarding the dental hygiene profession
- Explore various practice settings: private, corporate and public health
- Describe current and potential workforce
- Develop your brand! Introduction to how YOU can maximize your own opportunities
Currently, Lancette works as a clinician in private practice, in the corporate world as a professional educator, as a public health dental hygienist and is a member of the Premier Dental Professional Speaker Bureau. Lancette also launched a nonprofit school based oral health program in rural communities in northern Nevada in 2016. In this current school year alone, her program may reach over 10,000 students ranging from age 4 to age 20. She has the opportunity to work independently and provide all dental hygiene services to underserved populations with her Public Health Endorsement. Her experience in dental hygiene education, leadership and clinical practice has enabled her to develop CE courses that are relevant for the entire dental team.